10/04/2013

Rise of the Hutt Cartel: Day 1 Impressions


- Makeb is beautiful. In the Republic intro to the planet the Supreme Chancellor refers to it as a paradise, and she's not wrong. I'll be happy to deal with this place as my "official endgame zone" for the next year (or for however long until they raise the level cap again I guess). All too often in MMOs, endgame zones are dreary and depressing (usually because that's where the "bad guys" have had the most influence) and it sucks. I'll be happy to do my fighting on lush meadows and under wide open skies, thanks!

- It's a bit scary just how fast people are levelling. It's not that I expected it to take long, but still... seeing the first of my guildies hit the new level cap yesterday afternoon was a bit weird. By the time I logged off last night, three more had followed him. Looking at my Twitter feed, things were even worse, with one person even talking about how he had three 55s already. My own main is still 54 at the time of writing this, as I had to work during the day and didn't make it on until the late afternoon. I bravely soldiered on until past midnight (or rather, Pet Tank soldiered on while I deliriously stumbled after him to soak up the XP while occasionally hammershotting things) but eventually I had to succumb to tiredness.

- PvP is a bit borked, though not as badly as it could be I guess. I don't want to get my hopes up too much, but I actually enjoyed not being perma-slowed all the time due to the addition of Hold the Line for Commandos. My new electro net of supposed overpoweredness doesn't actually seem to do much though. The biggest issue however is the fact that the new bolster system is currently working too well - an issue that was well documented on the PTS for a long time but typically made it to live anyway - meaning that characters are at their strongest if they wear no armour at all. You haven't known humiliation until you've been ganked by a bunch of Imps in their undies... we'll see whether today's mini patch does anything to fix that.

9 comments :

  1. Folks hitting 55 must be using the new HM FPs and had a full quest log full of completed dailies ready to go. Those guys are the hardcore, server-first types that you really shouldn't compare yourself to at all. I'm sure the 5 levels will go quick, but it's not a full, 'real' expansion either. It's a digi-expansion and we should expect the 5 to go along at a pretty good clip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dunno, I had a full quest log of completed dailies ready to go too! XD That only took me about halfway through 50 though, and once I started questing properly and ran out of rested XP, things just seemed to slow to a crawl.

      Delete
  2. Imps in their undies?

    Boy, that sounds like an episode of Order of the Stick:

    OOTS: Armor Begone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was sort of similar to that actually, except that they were trying to kill me at the same time.

      Delete
  3. I only made it to 52 yesterday and wont be able to play today or tomorrow because of work and family obligations...sigh. Anyway I just wanted to say I saw a lot of people bitching yesterday in general chat. I really don't understand it. I remember the expansions and heck even patch days in WoW when you could hardly do anything because of bugs. This was not the case yesterday, it went smooth as a babies butt and I had a great time on the new planet. Kudos to the Devs for a job well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure what they'd be moaning about, other than maybe not having early access yet? I haven't had any issues with bugs and haven't heard any complaints from others either.

      Delete
  4. I didn't hear much griping on my server. And I'm with you Shintar - I had to work during the day, logged on as soon as I got home, played a little past midnight and still got to just 53. I thoroughly am enjoying the questline and can't wait to see the end of it.

    I'm also loving the changes they've made to my sorcerer. I've played one since day 1 and have been waited to be the OP class! (dps wise anyway) haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Makeb is a great planet. I give Bioware kudos for the impressive work.

    However, I'm very disappointed in them about the naked warzone bug. That was identified very early on the PTS and reported, and yet it still made it to release. It shows they aren't reading bug tickets.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hehe to be fair I was playing since 6 am in the morning, I'd have been gutted if I wasn't the first in the guild to 55 tbh :P although I can agree that the questing on makeb itself did seem a little quick I wasn't expecting it to be any longer due to various reports on the content

    ReplyDelete

Share your opinion! Everyone is welcome, as long as things stay polite. I also read comments on older posts, so don't be shy. :)