01/06/2015

Continued Adventures on the Progenitor

In the comments on my last post, reader DualBlastersGuy expressed some concern that rushing through the levels on a new server would result in me becoming destitute quite quickly. Fear not, gentle readers: Even if I'm going to make use of the epic story XP boost, playing in the described manner is absolutely out of the question for me. I'm simply incapable of focusing exclusively on my class story. I always get distracted, whether it's by gathering nodes, datacrons, unexplored pieces of the map or what have you. With that said, let me tell you about how Agent Shintar continued her adventures on the Progenitor by going to Dromund Kaas:

First off, I bought the stronghold there. I was actually positively surprised that I was able to afford it so easily (without any expansions of course), using just the quest money I had earned on Hutta. For some reason I always think of strongholds as this massive credit sink, so the idea that a newly rolled character fresh off the starter planet and with no support whatsoever would be able to actually afford a stronghold as soon as she hit level fifteen seemed kind of preposterous. But it's true! The ones on the capital worlds are really that cheap. I'm definitely grateful for the additional travel option, and I also plopped down the free level one slicing node that you get from the introduction to strongholds. It may not be much, but every little helps!

On Dromund Kaas, I managed to suffer my first death (not counting warzones)... by falling down the elevator shaft in Lord Grathan's estate. And when I say "falling", I actually mean "jumping". Because you know, why would you pay attention to silly things like whether the lift is actually there? It was annoying too since you can't res on a moving platform, so I had to respawn all the way back at the medcenter and promptly got distracted by nearby gathering nodes again the moment I tried to make it back into the compound.

I also realised that since I soloed the Black Talon instead of running it the "normal" way, Agent Shintar is social rank zero and couldn't complete her Social Points quest. I'll have to run a random flashpoint or something purely to amend that. Having no social points whatsoever is simply unacceptable.

In the Nexus Room Cantina, I actually ran into some people who were roleplaying. (I didn't see where they were and didn't go looking, but I saw their chat.) Up until then I hadn't even thought about the fact that the Progenitor is a roleplaying server. Fun fact: I actually spent most of my time in World of Warcraft on a roleplaying server (on Earthen Ring EU), though I wouldn't consider myself a roleplayer. I always feel a bit bad for roleplayers and how their servers get invaded by people who don't actually want to roleplay but who think that roleplayers somehow make for a better community. (At least that used to be the argument back in my day.) In WoW I actually got pulled into at least some roleplay by people who roleplayed in public, but towards the end of Wrath of the Lich King that kind of seemed to die out, or at least I hardly ever saw it happen anymore. It's nice to see that roleplay is still happening in SWTOR in any case. I wonder where else the roleplayers hang out? (These Sith were discussing how they'd like to be buried by the way; seemed very appropriate.)


While uncovering the last couple of pieces of map that I hadn't explored yet, I ran into a level 55 soloing the world boss (very, very slowly). I wondered if he doesn't have Shadow of Revan, to spend his time soloing lowbie world bosses at 55.


I also did a couple more warzones and continued to get about a zillion achievements for each match. It's pretty ridiculous really. I used 250 of my warzone commendations to buy a Makeb Pergola, which is apparently going for nearly 100k credits on the local GTN right now - I'm thinking that can't be right. However, even if it's not, I reckon that it's going to be an easy way of making at least a little bit of money quickly.

The GTN seems weird in any case - I was looking to sell a skill mod that I had found and expected there to be lots of them since agents are popular... yet there were only a couple of pages of similar items, and the highest level mod of that type was only level 29. Really makes you wonder if it's true what they say about roleplaying servers... (that people are too busy roleplaying to care much about regular content). Feel free to correct me, Progenitor players.

8 comments :

  1. There's a bunch on the Ebon Hawk! I ran into a group hunting rakghouls, speaking only in /say and running around on foot. Never seen that before so I followed them a little but didn't want to be too intrusive. I'm not an RP kind of person but it looked a little fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These kind of troubles (money, social rank etc) would demotivate me so much. That would really hold me back from rolling on a new server. I also have so many friends on TRE!

    The roleplay does sound fun, though. You're a brave soul!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The friends are certainly a thing that will always pull me back to TRE too, but at the moment I quite fancy a little exploration of my own, so this is nice. And as I said, I was surprised by how little of an issue money turned out to be! Then again, I'm only level 20, so we shall see...

      Delete
  3. Having no social points whatsoever is simply unacceptable.

    I have a post in the making entitled “Social Zero” or something like that in which I describe my adventures of soloing anything that goes (e.g. H4s, Flashpoints) on a Jedi Shadow. All of my other characters do have at least Social Rank I, though.

    The GTN of “The Progenitor” is indeed a bit understacked and overpriced when compared to other servers. I have characters on “The Progenitor”, “The Red Eclipse”, “Mantle of the Force” and “The Shadowlands” and from my personal experience I’d say that “The Progenitor” really falls behind. That does in turn, however, also present unique opportunities to make some big bucks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, apparently my Makeb Pergola did manage to sell for 95k credits, earning my little level 20 the "modestly wealthy" achievement... never earned such easy money in my life!

      Delete
    2. Sounds like a fun concept!

      Delete
  4. In as much the GTN issue. I think especially ever since they reduced all commendation prices on fleet for mods/barrels/enhancements, the low and mid level items are really really hard to sell well. Think about it, any class story finish gets you 12 classic comms. Each mod on fleet only costs 2 comms. So for maybe 3 quest finishes you can completely head to toe mod a character. This translates into being able to completely upgrade mods twice every 10 level break all the way to 50. Still, keep trying to the purple epic recipes down the road. They will still probably sell well if priced fairly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true, but I don't necessarily expect people to be informed enough to know this. :) If the majority of the player base were that on top of things, I wouldn't be able to sell stronghold items from a vendor that you can get from 15 minutes of PvPing for 100k...

      Delete

Share your opinion! Everyone is welcome, as long as things stay polite. I also read comments on older posts, so don't be shy. :)